두산 Bears Jorge Cantu in the Korean news for a “racist” tweet

Jorge Cantu who plays for the Korean baseball team 두산 Bears is hitting the Korean headlines because he tweeted a racist joke/photo. Apparently, he’d only re-tweeted the thing which was tweeted by one of his co-tweeters or followers (or whatever, I don’t know how it works in Tweetersphere, I don’t tweet)
Anyway, this link will send you to an article which you can scroll down for an image capture of the tweet in question before he erased it, and also further down there is a translated-into-Korean version from the original Spanish.
I don’t speak Spanish, so a rough translation from the Korean version goes something like:

Challenge
Answer the next 5 questions:
1. Which student is asleep?
2. Try to find the male twins.
3. Try to find the female twins.
4. How many of them are girls?
5. Which one is the teacher?

Anyway, I burst out laughing, I found the faces so funny and cute, and the questions/joke so very Spanish (or Spanish-speaking if that makes any sense). Don’t know why but it just reminded me of the last time when Ronaldo pulled a chinky eye when he arrived in Korea. (OK, I know they speak Portuguese in Brazil) I find these characterizations not very offensive, but funny. Also kind of like how Koreans themselves would characterize other races.. kind of imbecile at worst.
Is it just me?

• que337

It is not well known in Korea, but racial jokes on Mexican sombrero seems popular in America: http://www.columbia.edu/cu/cjas/agozzino2.html

• dlbarch

Cantu seems to have made a career of making poor judgments. First, deciding to play for the OB, er Doosan Bears, and now this!

Go, Twins!

DLB

• a passing korean huy

I don’t see this as a racist stuff.
    The joke is that the questions mislead the viewers into trying to distinguish the faces, while in fact it is just one guys face photoshopped all over.
    Change the photo to that of a white dude’s face, the joke remains exactly the same.

• MikeinGyeonggi

Sure, poor judgment. I also don’t understand why re-tweeting something is supposedly more innocent than tweeting it. I’d put this in the “not THAT offensive, but still a stupid thing to post on social media” category.

On the Great Wall of China, our guide asked us to stick together in a group because there were several other tour groups and all white people look the same to her. Everyone laughed. She was being serious.

• bumfromkorea
  • bumfromkorea

LG Twins? So THAT’s why you’re so anti-Samsung! 😀

• bumfromkorea

Some of the racial stereotypes are so silly, outdated, and repeatedly dismissed (Mexicans always wear sombrero, Asians all look alike), any jokes based on them seem to be benign – basically, it’s common sense now to assume that it’s just a joke with no malice. A big exception being that the stereotype in question is closely linked to a particularly horrific experience (ex: American slavery, Jim Crow laws, etc).

The sombrero joke was pretty funny. So is the one above. I really don’t expect anyone who isn’t a complete and utter moron to think “Ha, Asians do all look alike!” while laughing at this joke.

• cmxc

LOL – Koreans faulting others for racial insensitivity

• felddog13

My friend’s joke: i just learned there were 3 sets of twins at my hoggwon. What a relief! I’m not as racist as i thought i was!

• Aja Aja

I don’t find it funny at all. That same photoshop picture of a young Korean teen (at that time of the picture) has been passed around in the internet for almost a decade now, and the joke is always the same. Try something new, if you want to be funny. I don’t wish this on anybody who has to see his own face turned into a decades old joke being passed around online.

• yuna_at_marmotshole

So was it a Korean joke originally?

• Aja Aja

I never seen that in Korean sites. It’s the non-Korean over sea sites where it’s been passed around everywhere to denigrate Asians and Koreans alike. I’m sure that poor guy who was a teen at that time is a Gyopo.

• Seoulgoodman

We say “a guy wearing a sombrero”. It’s just as funny and not as offensive.

PS. You forgot the one about the guy on skis.

• Seoulgoodman

Yeah, but I think it implies that Asians all look alike, which is a racial stereotype.

• Seoulgoodman

Unfortunately, there are plenty of people who are utter morons.

• ExpatBateman

Exactly. This is hilarious and people need to stop being so sensitive. Koreans could stand to open their eyes a bit and get a sense of humor about expressions that fall under free expression. There’s still a lot of learning to be done by these ingrates. The PC police are on patrol!

• ExpatBateman

I know. Totally outrageous. These klowns just don’t get it. Not so nice when the shoe is on the other foot, eh?

• ExpatBateman

Hey, Klowns, in the West, humor is covered under free speech laws which you purportedly have accepted into your nation. Confucius can’t save you now. Curb the Han rage, okay?

• bigmamat

They’ve done some studies and experiments on facial recognition. It’s also another reason why some have come to criticize eye witness testimony. I caught a guy rummaging through my car last month. I noticed his height, weight and even got a good look at his face. Then the police officer asked me what he was wearing and I drew a complete blank. It’s like I couldn’t take it all in at one time.

• bigmamat

Aren’t Korean women starting to all look alike due to plastic surgery or is what you see out here on the internet about it exaggerated?

• Bob Bobbs

I teach Brazilian and Korean adults, and quite a few of the Brazilians think that making slanty eyes is a good way to say, “He/She is Korean/Japanese/Taiwanese.” Yeesh.

• Nathan Millard

This is mildly offensive to Koreans and humerous to the rest of the world. I think you’ve just gotta accept humour as such and move on with your life. There are jokes about every race – if there weren’t life would be a bit dull.

• Seoulgoodman

Well, if all Korean women looked like Bae Doo Na, I probably wouldn’t have stayed long enough to meet my wife. Luckily for me, she looks like Grace Park (the actress, not the golfer).

• ExpatBateman

I know. There’s bad stuff happening all the time. Shit happens. That’s life. Just accept it and move on. There’s no point in whining about everything. Goddamn PC klowns!

• bigmamat

The Korean ladies I know are all very tiny and pretty without surgical enhancements. Even if a couple of them are a little mean.

• Aja Aja

1) At least find a different material, using the same passed down material isn’t funny, it gets tiresome.

2) Don’t use a picture of a person without a permission. He didn’t ask for this.

• Aja Aja

1) At least find a different material, using the same passed down material isn’t funny, it gets tiresome and annoying.

2) Don’t use a picture of a person without a permission. He didn’t ask to be turned into a butt of joke that’s going around the world.

• bigmamat

Are you another one of those baby bitch boys that needs to carry is ass home to mama?

• Aja Aja

You better duck now, you got something coming your way now.

• Pomponius

This is actually Chuck Ramone – the rabid, “protect-Korea-at-all costs” Kyopo type, who is mostly likely also a sock puppet for some of the others of his ilk who often post here. He is trying to be ironic, but simply looks like an idiot.

Please don’t encourage him. Robert already called him out on this, but it appears he expects a pass on this behavior due his special situation of being one of the historically down-trodden people.

• bigmamat

What? He’s really a girl?

• Aja Aja

Who bigmamat? She’s no kyopo.

• Pomponius

no, I am responding to your comment to ExpatBatemen. He is Chuck Ramone – I thought that was obvious.

• bigmamat

Who is Chuck Ramone? Should I know?

• Aja Aja

No ideal. Maybe he’s one of the posters here?

• Pomponius

Better not to know actually, But he posts here quite often, and Robert recently caught him posting as ExpatBateman.

Link?

• ExpatBateman

Kyopo’s opinions mean nothing. They know nothing of Korea, only the fantastic delusions they project onto their motherland, land of the klowns. We know more about Korea than them and are therefore more qualified to express the hard-to-swallow truth about Klownland.

• Pomponius

Wangkon also knows about this, He commented on Robert’s post, which outed ChuckRamone as ExpatBateman

• Aja Aja

I missed this, please provide a link. Thanks.

• bigmamat

As much as I hate to say it you might be right about this…but don’t let my tentative agreement go to your tiny little pin shaped head.

• ExpatBateman

Pomponius, if you insist on misrepresenting me, at least do it from an account with more than four comments, otherwise you have no place telling others what to believe. Nobody knows who the heck you are or what your beef with me is. You’re just as credible as you claim me to be.

• Pomponius

ExpatBateman johnny law • 11 days ago

Please don’t yawn. I can smell your klown kimchi breath and it’s making me want to vomit.

Robert Koehler Mod ExpatBateman • 11 days ago

What are you up to, ChuckRamone?

ExpatBateman Robert Koehler • 11 days ago

I’m an angry, self-righteous, racist expat in Korea who hates the Klowns. What do you mean what am I up to? There are lots of blogs online that reflect just what I’m saying.

Robert Koehler Mod ExpatBateman • 11 days ago

True. But they’re written by actual angry, self-righteous, racist expats in Korea who hates the Klowns. I was about to ban you as a troll until I saw the email address and was like, wait, I know that email.

wangkon936 Mod Robert Koehler • 11 days ago

Wow… schizophrenia is a nasty disease.

ExpatBateman wangkon936 • 11 days ago

Schizophrenia, megalomania, solipsism, arrogance, belligerence, contempt, delusion, pomposity … that’s why I’m ExPatrick Bateman.

wangkon936 Mod ExpatBateman • 11 days ago

Hahaha… I get it. But you may want to rethink your strategy. Mr. Koehler does not appreciate the tactic.

• bigmamat

I didn’t need any help figuring out anything about you. You outed yourself.

• Aja Aja

Lol… ok.. whoever this chuck ramone is, how do you know ExpatBateman is not the real deal, and Chuck Ramone is the sock puppet/Kyopo pretender, and not the other way around? Or could both of the ID’s, troll ID’s?

Who cares?

• Pomponius

ChuckRamone has been around quite awhile. Robert knows the truth.

• ExpatBateman

There’s no way of proving it but I agree that any kyopos are incapable of objectivity, unlike us. We speak the gospel truth. Kyopos are all rabid Korea apologists without any footing in reality.

Did Robert block him?

• Pomponius

Obviously not …. I think it was a warning, but perhaps he was given a special pass, due to the righteousness of his cause, and his special situation.

• Aja Aja

Now you do sound like a troll. Don’t try so hard, it’s getting obvious.

• bigmamat

So why so cryptic…what was his cause and how is situation special. Is he a special needs person?

• ExpatBateman

Hey, whether you’re Korean or expat, why would you be so threatened by me if I am who you say I am? Is anything I say not a commonly held opinion by legions of foreigners in Korea? How did we all come to hold these views?

• bigmamat

But you don’t all hold these views. I’ve found many expat blogs that don’t moan and whine and bitch about how shitty life is in Korea.

• Pomponius

He is a simply one of the more extreme kyopos, who posts on many blogs, angry at expats and their opinions on Korea.

• ExpatBateman

Why would you care about a guy who’s just reinforcing your views about Korea? That’s good for your cause.

• bigmamat

I can’t blame him much. There are some nasty little butthurt momma’s boys out there.

• ExpatBateman

It must be kinda like the butthurt a lot of American conservatives feel when they watch Stephen Colbert or John Stewart.

• Pomponius

Still, you were caught posting under another name, to support your views, and this is a no-no on this blog, and many others. But perhaps you don’t think you have to follow rules.

• bigmamat

I don’t thin conservatives watch Colbert or Stewart very much. I know they hate Bill Maher.

• bigmamat

I’m sorry Pompy…but I didn’t know the internet had rules….maybe this blog has rules….but I haven’t seen much in the way of rule following on the internet….

• ExpatBateman

That’s exactly what you’re doing, posting under another name. And you’re obviously very irate and threatened by it when it’s me, for some reason.

• bigmamat

Nobody is irate or threatened….I’m rather amused.

• Aja Aja

Is this an admission that the charges are true?

• Pomponius

It is up to Robert to decide now.

• bigmamat

Leave him alone….he’s afraid of clowns….

• Aja Aja

Holy shit!@ You just gave me a big scare.

• cactusmcharris

Well, the first thing that comes to mind is credibility – the fact that you were caught out posting under another handle and can’t quite come to grips with that.

• bigmamat

OK Pompy….nobody likes a tattle tale….

• ExpatBateman

Yeah, I guess so. Someone like me, who bothers you so badly, and who you feel such a powerful need to discredit, must qualify for banning. Not because you’ve stated any legitimate reason but because, on a personal, emotional level, this person sticks in your craw.

Sissy….

• cactusmcharris

Might as well be a doughnut on the horizon.

• Sumo294

I noticed Brazilians are pretty open about racism but take it right back. They are racist and expect you to be racist right back–pretty fair.

• Sumo294

Sigh–another Yuna thread–it was better when she was selling lipstick for a living.

• johnny law

sterben..

• johnny law

baiseur.

• djson1

I guess the Cantu re-tweet is only mildly offensive but kind of funny (and funny cuz it’s true type of funny). But the Ronaldo chinky eye thing…what was up with that? That was offensive. It reminds me of the Spanish national basketball team when they posed with chinky eyes for the Beijing Olympics.

• Pomponius

I think you (ChuckRamone) have really gone off the deep end. You appear now to be pretending to be a crazy Korean, angry at crazy Expats, while trying to mask the fact you are a crazy Korean.

• yuna_at_marmotshole

ExpatBateman is not k****5482492. Maybe one of his *bates*. We are currently waiting for the cleaners.

• djson1

OK…I’m guilty. I actually didn’t take a close enough look. I didn’t realize it was the same guy’s face. haha

• A Korean

Igloo erection.

• Tapp

I’ve been told by several Koreans in the past that all white people look the same. In the back of my mind, I kind of assumed that they playing some sort of joke, turning the stereotype back around, but I don’t think that’s the case any more. Every race has an inherent ability to recognize and differentiate facial features within their own race, but it’s pretty common to generally have a higher level of difficulty with other races. I’ve been told that I look exactly like Sam Hammington (completely not true) and I’ve also been told that I look exactly like Johnny Depp (unfortunately also not true). Those two individuals look nothing at all alike, but I’ve had them compared side-by-side in class and have been told they look the same.

I guess I’m trying to say that it’s natural to think other races look alike. After all, the defining characteristics of each race also happens to be some of our strongest indicators on how to distinguish individual appearances, We tend to “gloss” over most people unless there is a specific attraction or other motivation (i.e. new boss, wife’s brother). For strangers, I’m much more likely to remember someone based on the color and shape of their eyes than i am to remember their ears, for instance. Eyes are also a major visual indicator of a person’s race. I think that it is natural for me to have a hard time seeing differences in the same way that some people can’t tell twins apart. Twins look the same to me or you, but to their family and friends, the differences are obvious. After a relationship is established, it’s easy to see the differences. Until that point, though, most people continue to gloss over.

This particular cartoon only slips into racism because it uses the tendency to ignore most visual features of strangers to directly perpetuate the stereotype. In other words, it’s only racist because the original artist intended it to be racist. They intended to say “All Asians look the same.”

• http://www.bcarr.com/ Brendon Carr
  • bigmamat

Exposure to a different race also makes a difference. Since I work with a variety of people from different backgrounds and races nobody looks the same to me.

• dlbarch

Dude, the last time I lived in Korea, I caught every Twins weekend home game for an entire summer. Great third base seats that cost next to nothing, and some great camaraderie to boot.

Korean baseball fans are awesome. I can’t tell you how many times I was offered beer or ojingo or whatever by my fellow fans…even when I sat in the midst of fans from the opposing visiting team.

Ditto goes for Japan and my beloved — if not always “proud and invincible” — Hanshin Tigers. (輝く我等ぞ 阪神タイガース, baby!)

Just awesome!

DLB

• http://www.bcarr.com/ Brendon Carr

The Korean baseball day out is a pretty good time. Not so with attending a basketball game, alas. The environment is so listless.

• redwhitedude

That first picture looks like a pierced nipple.

• AllKpop<3Ailee'sBoobies

Sigh..another Yuna thread. Just choose an English name and your wannabe desire to not be Korean anymore and find a white husband will be complete.

• Seoulgoodman

The truly unattractive ones are rare.

• bigmamat

I don’t think in their case it has anything to do with their looks. More like their Korean American-ness…the two I’m thinking about are blunt and controlling….not to me necessarily but to their families…I’ve known both of them for years. That’s a pretty awesome scary combination. A Korean upbringing inside an American woman. Don’t get me wrong. I love them both. We’re friends but I’m glad they aren’t my wife or mother.

• djson1

“I can’t tell you how many times I was offered beer or ojingo or whatever by my fellow fans”

Spot on…it never ceases to amaze me how often Koreans like to offer food to strangers. Even at the top of Mt. Halla, my wife (who is not Korean) was offered so many different snacks by strangers even though it was FREEZING up there! Koreans have this thing about forcing you to eat food.

• fuckingkillyanks6661488hh

Isn’t the internet great. It allows shitheads like yourself to say shit that would, in real life

get your head cracked open.

Hopefully you’ll suffer the same fate fucking cunt.

Please turn to the loaded gun in your drawer, put it in your mouth, and pull the trigger,

blowing your brains out. You’ll be doing the whole world a favor. Shitbag.

I would love to smash your face in until it no longer resembled anything human, faggot.

Die painfully okay? Prefearbly by getting crushed to death in a

garbage compactor, by getting your face cut to ribbons with a

pocketknife, your head cracked open with a baseball bat, your stomach

sliced open and your entrails spilled out, and your eyeballs ripped

out of their sockets. Fucking bitch

I would love to kick you hard in the face, breaking it. Then I’d cut

your stomach open with a chainsaw, exposing your intestines. Then I’d

cut your windpipe in two with a boxcutter.

Hopefully you’ll get what’s coming to you. Fucking bitch

I really hope that you get curb-stomped. It’d be hilarious to see you

begging for help, and then someone stomps on the back of your head,

leaving you to die in horrible, agonizing pain. Faggot

Shut the fuck up f aggot, before you get your face bashed in and cut

to ribbons, and your throat slit.

You’re dead if I ever meet you in real life, f ucker. I’ll f ucking

kill you.

I would love to f ucking send your f ucking useless ass to the

hospital in intensive care, fighting for your worthless life.

I wish you a truly painful, bloody, gory, and agonizing death, cunt

• fuckingkillyanks6661488hh

get your head cracked open.

Hopefully you’ll suffer the same fate fucking cunt.

blowing your brains out. You’ll be doing the whole world a favor. Shitbag.

Die painfully okay? Prefearbly by getting crushed to death in a

garbage compactor, by getting your face cut to ribbons with a

pocketknife, your head cracked open with a baseball bat, your stomach

sliced open and your entrails spilled out, and your eyeballs ripped

out of their sockets. Fucking bitch

I would love to kick you hard in the face, breaking it. Then I’d cut

your stomach open with a chainsaw, exposing your intestines. Then I’d

cut your windpipe in two with a boxcutter.

Hopefully you’ll get what’s coming to you. Fucking bitch

I really hope that you get curb-stomped. It’d be hilarious to see you

begging for help, and then someone stomps on the back of your head,

leaving you to die in horrible, agonizing pain. Faggot

Shut the fuck up f aggot, before you get your face bashed in and cut

to ribbons, and your throat slit.

You’re dead if I ever meet you in real life, f ucker. I’ll f ucking

kill you.

I would love to f ucking send your f ucking useless ass to the

hospital in intensive care, fighting for your worthless life.

I wish you a truly painful, bloody, gory, and agonizing death, cunt…..

• fuckingkillyanks6661488hh

get your head cracked open.

Hopefully you’ll suffer the same fate fucking cunt.

blowing your brains out. You’ll be doing the whole world a favor. Shitbag.

Die painfully okay? Prefearbly by getting crushed to death in a

garbage compactor, by getting your face cut to ribbons with a

pocketknife, your head cracked open with a baseball bat, your stomach

sliced open and your entrails spilled out, and your eyeballs ripped

out of their sockets. Fucking bitch

I would love to kick you hard in the face, breaking it. Then I’d cut

your stomach open with a chainsaw, exposing your intestines. Then I’d

cut your windpipe in two with a boxcutter.

Hopefully you’ll get what’s coming to you. Fucking bitch

I really hope that you get curb-stomped. It’d be hilarious to see you

begging for help, and then someone stomps on the back of your head,

leaving you to die in horrible, agonizing pain. Faggot

Shut the fuck up f aggot, before you get your face bashed in and cut

to ribbons, and your throat slit.

You’re dead if I ever meet you in real life, f ucker. I’ll f ucking

kill you.

I would love to f ucking send your f ucking useless ass to the

hospital in intensive care, fighting for your worthless life.

I wish you a truly painful, bloody, gory, and agonizing death, cunt…../..

• fuckingkillyanks6661488hh

Go die of a massive heart attack, fugly fata r s ed yank c v n t. Your useless “race” is the lowest of them all. 9/11 was a fantastic day. I was busy drinking champagne and laughing my a r s e off during that entire day over here in my flat in Brixton. It was so funny to see your ugly c u n trymen jumping to their deaths thousands of metres below, and their bodies exploding in a billion chunks. I wish I could have been there, so I could have taken a nice whiz on those bloody remains.

This is probably my favourite picture of a useless dead yank, a fate which all yanks, good or bad, thoroughly deserve.

The planes crashing were also fantastic. Useless fat yanks perishing in the blink of an eye, their bodies being incinerated and turned to charred ash in seconds.

The towers coming down was the absolute best part of that magnificent day. It was awesome seeing the thousands of worthless fat yank nonces being crushed, torn to pieces, and pulverized by the thousands of tons of concrete.

It was really funny watching you fat yank prats cry like little babies, knowing that your family members met a gruesome demise, and you’d never get to ever see them again.

Hitler was a truly awesome, inspirational man. Pity you and your entire family, and all you other stupid yank twats couldn’t have been gassed or cremated, just like the good-for-nothing kykes.

Tim McVeigh was also a great man, and hopefully more such individuals will level your useless buildings, slaughtering countless yank w a n k e rs in the process.

And it was fantastic hearing your useless p u s s y soldiers being slaughtered in Iraq. It was a real shame you lot pulled out, since it would be great seeing more of your scummy race being used as cannon fodder and being pulverized in a meat grinder.

• fuckingkillyanks6661488hh

• fuckingkillyanks6661488hh

• fuckingkillyanks6661488hh

• fuckingkillyanks6661488hh

I’d love to meet you in real life, so I can plunge a nice knife into your fat yank belly, and then tear it wide open, letting your entrails fall out, and let you meet a painful and excruciating demise.,..,,.

• fuckingkillyanks6661488hh

I’d love to meet you in real life, so I can plunge a nice knife into your fat yank belly, and then tear it wide open, letting your entrails fall out, and let you meet a painful and excruciating demise..,.,.,.,.,

• fuckingkillyanks6661488hh

I’d love to meet you in real life, so I can plunge a nice knife into your fat yank belly, and then tear it wide open, letting your entrails fall out, and let you meet a painful and excruciating demise./././.././.

• fuckingkillyanks6661488hh

I’d love to meet you in real life, so I can plunge a nice knife into your fat yank belly, and then tear it wide open, letting your entrails fall out, and let you meet a painful and excruciating demise..,/.,.,,.

• bumfromkorea

Oh what the fuck. Can someone please erase the comments with the corpse image?

• redwhitedude

Mexicans peeing?? Are you sure it is not a sperm?

• redwhitedude

You tell him. No artificial additives please.

• redwhitedude

OB Bears. Totally wrong! Getting bears drunk.

• dlbarch

Dude, the best baseball team name of all time (which also happens to be from Japan) has to be the Yakult Swallows.

If that isn’t the perfect pseudonym for a Mongolian porn star, I don’t know what is!

DLB

• Bob Bobbs

Some of them learn to pitch tents, too.

• A Korean

Ba-dum cheeeeeeeeeeee…

• redwhitedude

How is it so?

• Cloudfive

Sigh. Back in the States for a couple weeks and I check the hole to find that it’s the same old circle jerk as always…

• JUN Hong J

I think that cantu doesn’t need to get blame from others since it is the natural funny point to all of the people. I, korean, also hard to distinguish foreigners appearance at once. As we are not accustomed with their skin colors and figure, it can be happened. Korean tend to be sensitive to this kind of matter.