- A recently published book reveals new details about the capture of the USS Pueblo (HT to Doug). As you know, the Pueblo is still, ahem, on loan to the North Koreans for use as a museum ship.
- Somebody has taken Linkin Park’s first album and reimagined it using the vocals of Gangnam Style. Be afraid. Be very afraid.
- So, just before Xmas, the JoongAng Ilbo did a piece on crappy city slogans. See also here and here. Some of the problems can also be seen in corporate slogans. Lotte Group founder Shin Kyuk-Ho spends half his time in Korea and half in Japan, so you’d think he’d have run into at least one native English speaker he could have bounced the slogan of his hotels division off:
- N. Korean leader Kim Jong-un wants better relations with the South. Or so he says:
“North and South Korea should create a mood to improve relations,” Mr. Kim said in a nationally televised New Year’s Day speech. “It’s time to end useless slandering, and the North and the South should no longer do things that harm reconciliation and harmony.”
I’ll believe it when I see it. And Kim’s speech wasn’t entirely warm and fuzzy, either.
- Multicultural families, rejoice—you now have a smarphone app!
- Drugs and hookers—North Korea is apparently a lot like Wall Street.
- Hey, one of my Tumblr posts reached 1,000 notes. Yay me. And in case you missed it, here are my shots of the first sunrise of 2014. And if you’re looking for photographic years in review, start here and here.