≡ Menu

Well, that’s a bit disconcerting

I love my Galaxy Note, but I really hope it doesn’t blow up in my pants:

Another Galaxy smartphone has exploded and injured its owner. Bupyeong Fire Station in Incheon on Sunday said a 55-year-old man reported the previous day that his smartphone battery blew up in the pocket of his pants.

The man said he was carrying a Samsung Galaxy Note along with a spare battery in his pocket before they suddenly blew up. He is being treated for second-degree burns to his right thigh.

About the author: Just the administrator of this humble blog.

  • http://www.sperwerslog.com/ Sperwer

    Any word on the wedding vegetables?

  • Horace Jeffery Hodges

    Maybe they’re lithium batteries and got an extra charge from their pocket-billiard position.

    Jeffery Hodges

    * * *

  • Scott N

    Oh yes, very disconcerting. How to proceed?

  • Cloudfive

    Apple®’s had exploding batteries years before Samsung. Will this intellectual property appropriation never cease?!

  • gbnhj

    Interesting how both batteries blew up at the same time. Just what was the man doing with his phone?

  • keyinjpop

    I feel so bad for laughing at this. I do feel there is more to the story, like maybe the guy had a lighter for his smokes and didn’t mention it.

  • http://www.gofundme.com/1k98a8 Jakgani

    Most of the cellphone batteries that have exploded have been batteries that were not from the GENUINE Dealer.

    (batteries made in China etc)

    The picture of the battery in this pic – does not look like my Samsung Note Batteries. I purchase my spare Samsung Note batteries from the “Samsung Service center” – and they look different to the battery in the picture which exploded.

    The batteries (authentic ones) I purchase from the Samsung Service center has the same large S A M S U N G at the top of the batter, but then a lot more writing underneath and then the battery model and serial number at the bottom and a bar-scan code in the bottom right hand corner.

    purchase cheap-non-genuine Samsung batteries from a Chinese supplier – and get what you deserve.

  • judge judy

    he’s lucky he wasn’t on a plane.

  • cm

    That, and also deliberate vandalism to grab press attention. This was what happened last time a battery from one of the smartphone makers that supposedly exploded.

  • ChuckRamone

    Is that an exploding lithium-ion battery in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

  • RElgin

    *Look* again sport, that label, in the photo, is from a SAMSUNG battery. I listened to a former Samsung engineer last night tell me about Samsung’s current willingness to cut corners on certain projects, only to have the defects cost more than doing the job right would have cost. Samsung often goes cheap on components, thus I am not too surprised. The last defective battery in my Samsung phone was from Samsung too.

  • One for all

    LOL…..blame the Chinese….or Apple

  • http://kuiwon.wordpress.com/ Kuiwon

    My question is why was his Samsung Galaxy Note in his pocket and not his murse?

  • SomeguyinKorea

    Actually, the vast majority of cellphone batteries are OEM from China. Just buy some from real aftermarket makers (e.g. Pisen, Nohon), not counterfeit ones, and you’ll get a better battery than the OEM for about half the price…and you won’t risk losing the family jewels.

  • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=501172316 Stafford Lumsden

    Android phones get really hot when you are running a hotspot / tethering but one tends to think it is a numbers game – 10,000,000 units sold, maybe twice as many batteries – one or two are bound to be faulty.
    Unfortunate that the dude got hurt, but a one in 10,000,000 chance – still pretty far odds. Hope he buys a lotto ticket this week

  • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=501172316 Stafford Lumsden

    Also – poor form for letting a battery rattle around in your pocket. (Samsung provides a nice little plastic carry case to protect one’s battery). Lithium batteries are pretty easy to short out – all it would have required was something metal in his pocket making contact with the the terminals at the same time and….poof!, a lighter, paperclip, zipper? Any could have done it.