≡ Menu

A dog who gave birth to puppies outside the dog restaurant

A tweet by a netizen who put up a picture of puppies with the story that the mother dog escaped out of the dog farm/restaurant in Pusan to give birth to them before returning to the place has been viewed more than 100,000 times in less than 24 hours, with many comments, and has become big news. The tweet has asked for help in adopting the puppies and said the mother dog is already rescued.
This brings us to the other issue, the impracticality and unsuitability of dogs especially as battery farming animal and the reason why they are packed so tightly together. Due to the fact that dogs are social animals who have such clear hierarchy (anybody who has been to dog schools/dog socialization will know) they cannot be packed in small cages with each other. Often they will fight each other to death when stressed, and this means to prevent them from ruining the meat they have to be packed especially close to each other.

Finally there was also a recent news report that there is virtually no difference between pet dogs and dogs used in Korean restaurants (as the dogmeat defenders like to claim) based on a recent investigation.

Also worthy of note from the last report is that nearly 60 percent of those surveyed have answered “No” to the question if they have ever tried dogmeat. I would have thought it would be higher than that, as I have yet to come across anybody close to me or friends (even those vehemently defending the right to eat dog meat) who have told me that they have eaten it.

  • jeep44

    My wife, who is the same age as Park Guen Hye, has told me she often took dog meat to her grandfather. She told me it was something only men ate then.

  • http://www.chinasmack.com/tag/funny/page/3 Jakgani

    I am not surprised about only 60% – shame on the other 40%.

    They have medicine for that now (viagra, cialis etc).

    Sorry for the poor dog, who was so faithful, she had her pups, then returned to the restaurant – I guess she thought that is she returned, the pups were safer that way.

  • yuna

    박근혜 (Ms Park) is a fan(of dogmeat).
    Same as LMB.

  • CactusMcHarris

    What is a battery farming animal?

  • cm

    It’s the curiosity of what’s all the fuss about may be the most reason why those 40% of the people may have tried it, at least once sometime in their lives. I have found that the most vehement proponent of the dog meats are people who are not particularly fond of dog meat and don’t really eat them. Criticisms, protests, and attacks from abroad will not help in eliminating this practice. Instead it will do the opposite to what they intended to be, as it will turn dog meat proponents in Korea to turn more vehemently defensive. The dog eating will go away in time, but not because of outside pressure, but because of generational change in culture and acceptance by Koreans themselves.

  • http://www.chinasmack.com/tag/funny/page/3 Jakgani

    a “battery farming animal” it is the opposite of “free range”.

    It is animals that are cramped in small cages for farming – with no room to move around.

  • MrMao

    I never lived anywhere in Korea that was less than 100m from a dog meat restaurant.

  • http://adamsawry.wordpress.com Adams-awry

    Dog is the only meat I eat. Well, that and koala bear.

  • http://www.chinasmack.com/tag/funny/page/3 Jakgani

    pawi said on the weekend that you eat wombats too?

  • http://pawikoreapics.blogspot.com/ pawikirogii 石鵝

    here is a haunted house doing gangnam style. yes, thats right; a haunted house. funny!

    http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/10/23/177705/

  • http://pawikoreapics.blogspot.com/ pawikirogii 石鵝

    jak, you said i tease you about your heritage and i am glad you used the word ‘tease’ because that is what that is. i don’t mean any of it. you talk lots of sheit about korea, just dishing it back at ya. in reality, i’m very symathetic to the aboriginies. i also tip my hat to white australians for trying to make amends. it’s the right thing to do and they seem to be trying to do just that.

  • Arghaeri

    Yep, battery didn’t have the meaning now commonly ascribed to it.

    It means along the lines of a “set” or “group”, eg commonly in the military a battery of cannon. As such it used to refer to a set or “battery” of cells, then that for transmogrified so that it became a noun for electric cells instead of a descritor of nany cells grouped together as a set, a battery.

  • Stereo

    Dogs never give birth to puppies. Only female canines do.

  • dogbertt

    Ah, the essence of “farm to table” dining!

  • yuna

    #13 I was well aware of that, it was used in a “species encompassing way”, rather than female, male pedantic way. And in our family, being a biotch is attributed to a certain state of mind, transcending species.